St. George Online logo Sellier Enterprises

St. George Online

St. George, Utah and the Southern Utah Area

Home Activities Communities Ghost Towns Parks  
Lodging Restaurants Car Rentals Bookstore Businesses Trading Post


Ghost Towns


St. George Online

Hebron, Utah
Ghost Town

Hebron, Utah 

Hebron, Utah was located a few miles up Shoal Creek from where Enterprise now stands. It was situated in a small valley at the junction of the south and west forks of the creek in the northwest part of the county at an altitude of 5475 ft. 

Hebron was settled about 1865 by several families who were sent there to produce cattle and to engage in dairying. Their was limited water and land in the little settlement so there was little inducement for the children of the first settlers to remain there.  

At one time there were about a dozen families living there, and they had some fine brick buildings. There was one main street running east and west. Shoal Creek is formed by numerous mountain springs so they had good water into town - a lot of towns in the county had a hard time obtaining good water. 

Hebron was first settled by John and Charles Pulsipher. These brothers had charge of the St. George stock, they found the location when looking for better herd grounds. This area had good water and plenty of food, they decided it would be a good place for the animals. They named Shoal Creek. The men later located their families there and others moved there, too. There was a band of Paiute Indians camped near the site and the settlers entered into an agreement with them. The Indians were willing to have the settlers live near them. The men and their families arrived at Shoal Creek in April 1862, they built homes that fall. 

On May 6, 1866 at a conference held at St. George, the Hebron ward was formed. It included those living in the mountain districts of Pine Valley, Pinto, Mountain Meadows, and Shoal Creek. Later in 1866 some small settlements had to be vacated because of Indian troubles and the people of Shoal Creek built a fort on the present site of Hebron. In 1868, President Erastus Snow visited them and had them survey a town site which they called Hebron. Soon after the land was laid out, most of the people moved onto their lots. Dudley Leavitt presided at Hebron until November 1869, when the people were organized into a ward, with George H. Crosby as Bishop. Thomas S. Terry succeeded him in 1877, then he was succeeded by Zera B. Terry. In 1894 George A. Holt succeeded Bp. Terry. Bishop Holt served until most of the people left Hebron and moved down to the edge of the desert where they helped found Enterprise. In 1905 the two towns were organized into the Enterprise ward.   

The earthquake that struck the area on November 17, 1902 really hit hard at Hebron, all the brick and rock buildings were badly damaged. There was also a drought in the area and discouragement had set in. Water was scarce, it had to be hauled in barrels on stick sleds, sage and rabbit brush were taking over their gardens, floods had cut washes through their limited land, and then their homes were damaged by the earthquake. Church officials recommended that the people of Hebron sell out, so most sold their water stock to the Enterprise Reservoir and Canal Company and moved into Enterprise. And Hebron became a ghost town. A deep wash now runs through the main street of what was once the town of Hebron. 





St. George Utah & Southern Utah Online

Sellier Enterprises


St. Geroge Online Kokopelli logo Other web sites you may wish to visit:
Earths Wonders Plant Power Tender Loving Stitches
TLS Designs The Sellier Group Metal Physical
Engage-Life Gardening Tidbits Vernal Spirit


Copyright 2000-2018 Sellier Enterprises.  All rights reserved.  Privacy Notice.

          American Flag Staff Alert