Toquerville, Utah History:
Named after Toquer, an early Paiute chief. The town is located about thirty miles south of Cedar City along Ash Creek. Located at an elevation of 3,394 feet. Toquerville was settled in 1858 and played an active part in the settlement of Southern Utah.
Large amounts of peaches and apricots were grown for trade in Nevada, California and Salt Lake City. The town has buildings of architectural interest and pioneer homes which are still inhabited. A two-story sandstone building built by Robert Conrad Naegle stands at the south end of Toquer Boulevard. Once a winery, this handsome building is now a private home. The town hall is a well-preserved Greek-Revival structure with “prisoner rock” in front of it. Since there was no jail, when a prisoner was brought through town, the sheriff chained him to this rock for the duration of the stay. The first pecan tree planted in Utah is found on Toquer Boulevard.
Toquerville was once the County Seat of Kane County. In 1864, the territorial legislature created Kane County from the eastern portion of Washington County.
In 1883, the boundaries were re-adjusted and Toquerville was moved back into Washington County, thus ending its term as county seat of Kane County.